I know that Zambia is a stunning country. I was born in Zambia and grew up there. I have breathed the unforgettable smell of first rains, experienced the beautiful Zambian wilderness, wildlife and…
Opportunities like this don’t come around very often! The Zambia Tourism Board needs your help to create a new logo and slogan to help successfully market Zambia as a tourist destination. Win this competition and you win a 15 day luxury safari worth up to US$30,000!
I know that Zambia is a stunning country. I was born in Zambia and grew up there. I have breathed the unforgettable smell of first rains, experienced the beautiful Zambian wilderness, wildlife and people. It is about time we presented Zambia to the world as the fantastic destination that it is. Zambia needs branding as a destination country worth experiencing — it needs a visual competitive edge.
It is a fascinating country to visit with unbeatable safaris and adventure, great culture and friendly people and of course the iconic Victoria Falls! It is still relatively undiscovered, with much potential. And tourism is key to Zambia and it’s people. Increased tourism means more jobs in rural areas, more funds for conservation and a healthier economy in a developing country. If you are worried about the negative effects of tourism then read my article ‘Eco-tourism in Africa — is there such a thing as positive tourism? Play your part — share your ideas and enter the competition. Help Zambia and have the chance to explore the country yourself.
The winner’s experienceThere are two prizes to be won! One for the best slogan and one fore the best logo. Each prize is a lavish 15 day Zambia safari for two that includes:
- A visit to the Victoria Falls
- A safari experience in three of the top national parks in Zambia (South Luangwa National Park, Kafue National Park and Lower Zambezi National Park)
- Accommodation, food and beverages, activities and Government taxes included
- International flights from listed travel hubs (see terms and conditions)
- Domestic travel and transport
- Activities may include safari drives, walking safaris, canoeing on the Zambezi River, walking with elephants or lions, white water rafting, fishing for Tiger Fish on the Zambezi River, bungee jumping, cultural shows and more!
- Farewell gala dinner in Lusaka with the Zambia Tourism team
The briefThe competition for the new slogan and brand for Zambia was launched on the 28th of January 2011 by the Zambia Tourism Board and closes on the 25th of February 2011. The logo and slogan must replace ‘Zambia — the Real Africa’ as shown above. The slogan should be in English and appeal to a broad global audience. There is no word limit on the slogan but short and snappy is recommended.
- Cornell University recently carried out research on this topic and you can read that here.
- Read more about what Zambia has to offer on the Zambia Tourism Board website.
You can follow the competition here
- 25th February 2011 — competition closes at midnight in Zambia (CAT time zone)
- 14th March 2011 — the five short-listed entries will be displayed on the Zambia Tourism website. All entrants and members of the public will be in invited to vote. The outcome will be viewed as market research and will not necessarily be the ultimate winner of the competition.
- 21st of March 2011 — prize winner(s) will be informed and the results announced on the Zambia tourism Board Website and Facebook page.
How to enter
- Email you suggested slogan and/or logo (maximum 1MB) to email@example.com or
- Post your entry to Branding Competition, Zambian Tourism Board, P.O. Box 30017, Lusaka or
- Deliver to the Zambia Tourism Board offices at 4th Floor, Century House, Cairo Road, Lusaka (next to Shoprite)
- You can enter up to three suggestions (only one entry per email)
- Include your name and contact details (email, address and telephone number)
- Zambia tourism will add your details to their database unless you say otherwise
Terms and conditions
- The competition is open to individuals aged 18 or over from any country in the world
- Staff and consultants of the Zambia Tourism Board, the Tourism Council of Zambia, the world Bank Group, the Department for International Development, and their immediate families are not eligible to enter
- Winners agree to relinquish all copyright to the Zambia Tourism Board
- Prizes must be taken before July 2012 (excluding the following periods — August, September and Christmas week 2011)
- Prizes are non transferable
- International flights will be included from the following hubs — any EU capital, New York, Washington DC, Dubai, Johannesburg, Cairo and Nairobi
- It is not guaranteed that the winning slogan and logo will be used for Zambia’s tourism marketing
Prizes have been generously donated by Bushcamp Company, Norman Carr Safaris, Sanctuary Retreats, Robin Pope Safaris, Baines River Camp, Chiawa Camp, Chongwe River Camp, Kanyemba Lodge, Sausage Tree Camp, Mukambi Safari Lodge, Wilderness Safaris, Islands of Siankaba, River Club, Royal Livingstone Hotel, Protea Hotels, Arcades, Proflight Zambia, Sefofane, Zambian Ground Handlers.