Our curated weekly digest of the most important and interesting content about Zambia. This week — Foxdale Court brings back Aperitivo Thursdays, Dan Patlansky returns to Zambia and Big Green Box offers a 50% discount. In global news, #TheAfricaTheMediaNeverShowsYou takes Twitter by storm, the World Bank turns to Africa for its latest recruitment campaign and Africa’s smartphone market is on the rise. Read more below…
Upcoming events from all around Zambia
- Foxdale Court brings back Aperitivo Thursdays in the courtyard
- The event will include a happy hour, all you can eat Italian style and singers Carmine, Micah and Tasha.Date: 16th JulyTime: 17:30–20:00 hoursVenue: Foxdale CourtEntry: K25Contact: Foxdale Court on 0973315185
- Dan Patlanksy returns to The Web
- After Dan’s well recieved 2014 performance, this is your second chance to see one of the most heralded blues artists to ever come out of South Africa who has also established himself as a heavyweight in the global blues game. Table bookings for dinner are advisable.Date: 17th July, 2015Time: 21:00Venue: The WebEntry: K100Contact: Jude, 0976428789
- Dan Patlanksy also performs at Rhapsody’s Lusaka
- Dan is also back at Rhapsody’s by popular demand! This is your final chance to see this Dan Patlanksy perform in Zambia this JulyDate: 18th July, 2015Venue: Rhapsody’s LusakaEntry: K250, including dinnerInfo: Tickets from Rhapsody’s
- Lusaka Polo Club Test series match
- Zambia takes the field against Brazil in the Land Rover International Test Series 2015. Market style food stalls and cash bar. Evening after party with DJ Kev and DJ Blocks. Watch as man an’ horse compete in the sport of kings and cheer on Zambia! Remember to dress to impress.Date: 18th July, 2015Time: 14:00 hours till lateVenue: Lusaka Polo ClubEntry: Free
- It’s the second week of the Trees for Zambia Festival of Action
- So far the yearly Trees for Zambia project progress include 11,176 trees planted, 97 planting days, 24 sustainability workshops, 7 educational wall murals, over 50 handmade solar cookers, over 10 handmade rocket stoves, 74 Tree Tuesday radio shows, 48 school eco days, 5 community farms, 1 reforestation site, over 500 passionate planters from Zambia and around the world have joined in the 3 Festivals of Action so far.Date: 12th — 19th July, 2015Venue: LivingstoneFurther details: Greenpop Zambia Festival of Action 2015 Facebook page
- Comedy night
- An evening of funnies hosted by Topsy and featuring Bob Nkosha, K-Star, HK, Chingliz, Charlie the Engineer, Mwanachingwala. This event is brought to you by Bittersweet Events and Art D’Afrique.Date: 24th JulyTime: 19:00 to 21:30 hoursVenue: Mulungushi Conference CentreEntry: K100 or K150 for VIP ticketsInfo: Tickets from Sounds
- This July is Rock FM’s 2nd birthday!
- To celebrate they are bringing you Zambia’s first Snow Party at Room 101.Date: 25th July, 2015Time: 21:00 till the snow meltsVenue: Room 101Entry: K50
- Nyamuka Zambia National Business Conference
- Who hasn’t noticed the Nyamuka Zambia competition yet? Next up is the Nyamuka Zambia National Business Conference. This is for entrepreneurs and growth-orientated SMEs to interact with each other and with the business leaders of Zambia. The conference will offer business success tools, access to movers and shakers in business, an opportunity to ask your most pressing business questions and the chance to pitch your business to a ready market.Date: 30th July, 2015Time: 07:30–18:00 hoursVenue: Mulungushi Conference CentreEntry: K200Contact: Musonda Mwewa of Media 365 on 211–293–600
Special offers, discounts and deals from businesses in Zambia
- 15% off Hi-Fase batteries
- Autoworld has 15% off Hi-Fase car batteries until 15th July. Visit them in store to claim your discount!
- 50% off 28 days rental
- Big Green Box clients can get a 50% discount off their next 28 days rental just by introducing a friend who rent storage from Big Green Box! Note, this offer applies to the introduction of new clients and one discounted period applies per new client introduced. The offer is not affected by the period of storage or the numbers of containers your friend rents.
Business news and company updates from businesses in Zambia
- East Point renovates Kabwata venue
- East Point Discotheque is proud to announce they have recently renovated their Kabwata venue. The new venue is lighter, brighter and significantly more modern.
Interesting articles from around the web
Articles from around the world about Zambia and Africa, focusing on the development and positive aspects of our beautiful continent.
Interesting statistics about the Africa smartphone market indicate a decline in low end feature phones and a fast rise in smartphone usage. Smartphone shipments to the middle East and Africa increased by 66% in the first quarter of 2015 and Africa is closing in on 1 billion mobile subscriptions! It is certain that information is increasingly at many of our finger tips and I’m excited to be working towards spreading even more good quality information to Zambians and Africans via this website.
Join the fight against African media stereotypes with the Twitter hashtag #TheAfricaTheMediaNeverShowsYou that is now spreading to Instagram. At last, I’m proud to see images that stand strong against the archaic ‘dark continent’ narrative. Started by a 17 year old in Ghana, 50,000+ inspiring, positive, fulfilling and motivational images you can absolutely be proud of have now been shared. Fellow Zambians, join the campaign and share your pictures today. Read full articles here, here and here.
It’s refreshing to see the World Bank launch a recruitment drive in Sub Saharan Africa that calls for Africans to play a key role in shaping Africa’s future. Read full article
As we’re heading for school holidays, this week the spotlight is on Travel Agents in Zambia who offer tickets and visa services. Click through to view more details about the services offered by these five suppliers, two of whom we have been working with for six years!
Mukwa Travel and ToursJoined June 2009
As well as offering air travel ticketing and visa services, Mukwa Travel & Tours designs and arranges luxurious personalised tours, experiences and ‘dreams come true’, focussing on stunning Zambian and Eastern and Southern African destinations.
Voyagers ZambiaJoined March 2009
Some of the most popular types of itineraries that have been created by Voyagers include photographic and walking safaris, canoeing trips, family holidays, motorcycle safaris, short city tours and 2 day excursions.
Tikuya Travel and ToursJoined September 2014
Tikuya facilitate efficient air travel for business and leisure through the sale of air tickets and holiday packages. In its approach to travel, Tikuya attaches great importance to understanding its clients’ travel needs.
AfriCar Rentals and TravelJoined October 2014
AfriCar Rentals and Travel is a world-class provider of travelling services, both inside and outside Zambia.
Quiz Bee Car Hire and TravelJoined February 2014
Quiz Bee can design your holiday, short tour packages, organise accommodation and activities. The company has put together an exciting selection of packages in Zambia, Zanzibar, Seychelles, Kenya and Mauritius.
Our best wishes for a productive week. Please send your up and coming events, offers, news, and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can follow us on Facebook or Twitter for updates throughout the week.